It has been a huge privilege to serve as our MP for the last two years. I was not expecting a General Election so soon and as you know I am not a career politician, having spent 15 years setting up and running my own businesses before being elected in 2015. After some very careful thought in the last few days I have decided to seek re-election on June 8th.
I believe actions speak louder than words, so here are some of the things I have been able to accomplish in the last two years, often working with Residents Groups and local councillors:
- Got the opening hours at Purley Hospital’s Minor Injury Unit / GP Hub extended so from 1st April it opens 8am-8pm 365 days a year. Before it was only open in the afternoon
- Persuaded the Government to give compensation to Southern Rail season ticket holders for the appalling service, and in January secured £300 million to improve the points and signals on our line. This will help fix the problems and work has just started
- Persuaded the Government to increase the minimum wage from £6.50 to £7.50 an hour. It is going up to £9.00 an hour by 2020
- Successfully campaigned to stop the Labour-controlled Council closing Purley Pool, which they had planned to do
- Persuaded the Secretary of State to “Call In” the Council’s terrible decision to give planning permission to a 17 floor skyscraper in Purley. This will now be decided by an independent planning inspector
- Helped secure £25m in funding for a new A&E Department at Croydon University Hospital (Mayday). Work is now underway
- Got the Council to re-open part of Lion Green Road car park in Coulsdon after they closed it, and then absurdly failed to start the intended redevelopment works
- Campaigned successfully to restore 1 hour free parking in Coulsdon town centre
I would like to ask for your support on June 8th to be able to carry on taking action for our wonderful neighbourhood – there is still a lot to do. If you are able to go further and actively help my campaign, we need assistance with:
- Delivering leaflets near where you live
- Delivering leaflets elsewhere in Croydon
- Sites for garden posters
- Campaign donations
- Volunteers to knock on doors
- Help in the office
If you are able to help me in any one of these ways please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your address and how you could help.
If I don’t succeed in being re-elected on June 8th I would like to say what a pleasure and privilege it has been serving our local community for the last two years.
With best wishes,