Below are my objections to another application to demolish a family home in favour of flats on Welccomes Road in Kenley. Please do share this so that other people are aware of what’s currently happening to our part of the borough.
Demolition of the existing dwelling and erection of a 3 storey building to provide 9 flats with associated parking, cycle storage, landscaping and childrens play space.
52 Welcomes Road Kenley CR8 5HD
- The proposal for 9 new homes spread over three storeys in a block of flats would be a significant overdevelopment of this site due to its design, size, height, materials, footprint, scale and massing and would result in an incongruous form of development
- It would fail to integrate successfully within the immediate surroundings and would be detrimental to the street-scene,
- The proposal fails to respect the local development pattern, layout and siting and completely dominates the plot; neighbouring properties are generously spaced and respect the trees and green character of the area
- The development would be detrimental to the amenities of the occupiers of the neighbouring properties by reason of its mass, design and siting resulting in increased visual intrusion, sense of enclosure, and loss of privacy
- Proposed frontage car parking is dominant and would be out of character
- Inadequate parking for residents and visitors – the site has a very poor PTAL rating of 1b
- Inadequate refuse storage arrangements
- Highways and pedestrian safety concerns because Welcomes Road is narrow and is also a designated footpath
- Concreting over of garden space; the loss of natural vegetation and natural habitat: no information provided to demonstrate that the development would not result in unacceptable harm to protected species or habitats
- Lack of consideration of any impact on local infrastructure: eg schools, GPs, drainage
This is just one example of the planning madness that has been going on in our area. The Labour run Council, and its wholly owned subsidiary, Brick by Brick, have a policy of destroying family homes to build flats in the south of the borough. I will continue to oppose these applications. You can keep up to date with this and other issues at chrisphilp.com